Wednesday, March 17, 2010

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't too busy denying them.


As I sat skimming through my copy of Poetry International 13/14 searching, I felt futilely, for a poem that would catch my interest and keep it, I found, much to my surprise, not just a poem, but pages of poetry that did just that. This most recent edition of Poetry International contains within its bindings works that even the most unenthusiastic reader of poetry can enjoy. There are poems that speak to all types of people, to all experiences great and small, from the bite of a mosquito to a couple making love. I enjoyed what I read, and could not have been more surprised because of it. I chose this poem to share with you because, of them all, this one fits in with a genre of fiction I readily admit I enjoy, romance.

It’s Cool
            By Lauren Wattel
We were driving each other mad again, so
We left the highway and found an empty space
            by the ruins of a house. I stroked your chest
and straddled your lap; you kissed me with a low
moan, your skin gold in the light; I cupped your face
between my palms like an artifact; you moved
            my hips; and when you pressed your lips to my breast
you gasped. There was a man outside the window.
“Its cool,” the man said, “just find another place
            to do it.” Then he tipped his hat, unimpressed
with the exhibition. Our mood now improved
dramatically, we waved to the man and drove
back to the highway feeling restored, well-loved,
glistening like two jewels in a secret trove.

            Poetry spans all genres. It can be dramatic or funny. It can tell a story of love or hate, be mysterious and suspenseful, or mythical and mystical. Poetry has romance and danger and adventure. Shakespeare is a poet, an obvious and commonly known fact you may say, but for some reason I chose to disconnect him from the form. I have often said that poetry was of no interest to me. I told people I hated poetry and I believed it, but how can you hate what you don’t really know? The answer is, you can’t. So poetry, I admit it, I owe you an apology… and here it is.

Poetry,

             I have wronged you. All these years I have neglected you, belittled you, and maligned you to all my friends. You were like that kid who was different from everybody else. The misunderstood one that I never tried to get to know, that I never spoke with to see if maybe, possibly, we had some common interest. I rejected you before I really knew you and for that I am truly sorry. I feel as though I’ve missed out on what could’ve been years of great friendship, for you see, I’ve learned the error of my ways. We do have a common interest. You do have something to say that I want to hear. I was wrong to judge you by form alone. Its what’s inside that counts and in your work I found something to connect too. I hope that you can forgive my reprehensible behavior, and if so, I look forward to a long and happy friendship with you.

Repentantly Yours,

Susan Todd

1 comment:

  1. Phewh! It's Cool was HOT! How did I miss it when I read PI? Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Well written- I could totally see the guy saying, "Just find somewhere else to do it." Or did that happen when I was 16?

    ReplyDelete